"We are not all in the same boat. We are all in the same storm. Some of us are on super-yachts. Some have just the one oar."
We are aware that these are challenging times for many people: not everyone is working from home and getting paid for it or receiving paid leave; many stand to lose their employment. As such, the price of practising could be a barrier for some of you or your friends taking part in classes. As a studio, we have always felt strongly that cost should not be a barrier to accessing the benefits of yoga, at any time and in particular one of additional anxiety and stress, and so we remain committed to finding ways to work within the wider local community to bring yoga to those who need it most but may not consider it an option for them. We continue to provide reduced-rate and a number of free-of-charge memberships and places on trainings and this is something we will always do.
However, we are so lucky to have wonderfully generous people in our community who consider themselves in a position to help others at this time and as such we have received a number of enquiries about how to sponsor places in class for those who may be facing financial difficulty so that everyone can practise together. In response to this kindness we have created a Pay It Forward Fund.
This is a virtual pot into which donations from the community are gathered and allocated for the sole purpose of sponsoring class drop-ins for anyone who needs one. Union Station Yoga will match every £5.00 donated, so every £5.00 donation will pay for one drop-in class credit. There are no rules or checks in place to benefiting from this fund; we all need help from time to time and there’s no shame in accepting it. We will be gifting a maximum of one class per week per person at the beginning while we calibrate the balance between donations and demand.
See below for both process on how to both donate and claim a free class.
How to claim a free class for yourself or someone else:
- 1. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line 'Pay It Forward Class'
- 2. Include the recipient's (or your) full name and email address
- 3. We will reply to all emails received when we can confirm that a class credit has been added to the recipient's account.
- 4. If you or the recipient are new to the studio, we will set up an online account and send a 'welcome email' with username and password details. If you or the recipient have previously been to the studio, we'll add the credit to your existing account.
- 5. The class recipient can then log into their online account and book into any yoga or pilates class on the timetable.
How to donate classes:
- 1. Select one of the class credit amounts below or choose the custom amount option if you don't see the amount you want to donate.
- 2. Once you select the class credit amount below, you will be directed to a page to fill out the gift voucher details. When prompted, use the below information to assist you in filling out the online form:
- To: Union Station Yoga
From: Your Name
Select 'Send the recipient the gift card via email'
Send the voucher to email@example.com and keep the date as today's date.
Title: Pay It Forward Fund
Recipients' Full Name: you can put 'Union Station Yoga' or feel free to specify someone you'd like to receive the class credit.
- 3. Click on 'make purchase' and complete your payment! We'll automatically receive an email with the credit which we will then add to the fund or to a specific recipient's account.
Thank you so much to everyone who has inspired this initiative and please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions 💛